Thursday, August 25, 2011

Hurricane Irene Threatens Great Flemington Speedway Event

  An event that I have been looking forward to for weeks, "Race Day at the Fair", which is scheduled for Sunday at the Hunterdon County 4-H & Agriculture Fair, looks like it will fall victim to Hurricane Irene. While vintage and restored race cars will be on display for the duration of the fair, August 24-28, Sunday was scheduled to be a very special day.
  The Flemington Speedway Historical Society has a "Most Influential People" ceremony scheduled for Sunday at noon. The initial honoree is Al Tasnady, whose family will be representatives. Immediately following at 1pm is an interview session with many of the former greats of the speedway from both the dirt and asphalt eras.
  Drivers scheduled to appear include Stan Ploski Jr., Sammy Beavers, Ken Brenn Jr., Ray Liss, Newt Hartman, Midge Miller, Jimmy Long, Steve Whitt, Phil Cox, Clyde Cox, Nate Strunk, Paul Rochelle Jr., and more. They were to be joined by car owners Ken Brenn Sr., and John Norcia.
  There is rarely a week that doesn't go by that I don't think about Flemington Speedway. While my experiences at it as a dirt track were limited, it was one of the best asphalt tracks I have ever been too, and I have been to many, big and small. I sat in the stands, and have been to victory lane for one of the biggest events of that time, the Race of Champions.
  I am so appreciative of the Flemington Speedway Historical Society, and all the work they do to make sure "The Square" is not forgotten. I just truly hope, if Hurricane Irene does cancel this event, that it can be rescheduled in the not so distant future.
  Stay safe everyone, I need as many readers as I can get! 

No comments:

Post a Comment