Monday, October 24, 2011

The Only Good Thing About Talladega - Underdogs

  I am a NASCAR fan, however I am not a fan of any of the races run at Talledega, until there are about 2 laps remaining. Sure I have that wreck on the highway curiuosity regarding the"Big One", but I could just as easily have the race on in the background while I do other things, and turn to look when it does happen. Honestly, most of the drivers are just riding around waiting for the last 2 laps to make their move. If someone could tell me the exact time the last 2 laps would start I probably wouldn't even tune in until then. I could easily watch the highlights on Speed or ESPN, later that night.
  The one thing I do like about Talladega, however, is the opportunity it brings for an underdog to win, or at least do well. That was definitely the case this weekend.
  I couldn't be happier to see a guy like Mike Wallace, who pretty much makes his living driving for underfunded efforts who every weekend have no shot at a win, come across that finish line first in the Camping World Truck Series. What made it even more special was he was a substitute driver who wasn't even scheduled to run.
  Talladega also gave a team I follow closely because of their ties to the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour, Tommy Baldwin Racing, an opportunity for a great run which they took advantage of. Their driver Dave Blaney brought the Golden Corral Chevrolet home in fourth place. A great run for a team that some weeks is a start and park operation.
  Talladega is the one race on the NASCAR schedule where any car or truck on the track has a shot at winning. It's a shame they can't just shorten the race to a ten lap shootout, and save us all a little time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment