Tuesday, October 11, 2011

What I Forgot About Going to Dover

  I, like many of you was once a regular at Dover International Speedway for many years. However, due to a number of factors I one day just decided to stop going, and didn't renew my tickets. I, recently returned to the high-banked concrete oval, as a member of the media, and guest of ESPN. During my visit, I began to remember why I never wanted to miss a race here.
  The first time I went to Dover happened quite by chance. A friend had been given two tickets by a coworker who could not attend the event. We were both local track veterans, but we had never been to a NASCAR Sprint Cup race before. We left for the track early on a Sunday morning, and actually arrived before the sun had come up. Much to our surprise, we had seats inside the enclosed grandstands which were used for the horse racing. Although the seats left something to be desired, especially by two people used to sitting out in the grandstands, the overall experience was so good we decided to return for the next race, but purchase our own tickets, outside.
  We returned for the next race, with two more friends, and even though we sat rather low in the grandstands, we all enjoyed the day. Our group soon grew to eight people, and we even managed to move high enough in the grandstands to have seats with backs, if you've been to Dover you know what a luxury they can be. Back then, not only was it hard to move up, but if you didn't get your deposit in early enough you risked losing the seats you had.
  Eventually, even though we all remained hardcore NASCAR fans, we each as individuals gave up our seats, and stopped going to Dover. There were as many reasons, as there were of us. Expense, travel cost, new families, etc. We relegated ourselves to watching on television, even though the track was less than 3 hours away.
  When I returned to Dover two weekends ago, I almost immediately began to remember why I loved coming here in the first place. The sounds, the smells, the sights, that you just don't get while sitting at home.
  I loved being able to walk from one sovenoir hauler to the next, checking out all the brightly colored shirts, and other merchandise I could only get at the track. Walking beyond the track grounds to check out the vendors selling collectibles from years ago. I have found some things that are very dear to me, out in those fields.
  Seeing the "Monster" in person is just an unreal experience, and great photo opportunity. What doesn't really get publicized, is the base of the statue contains plaques of all the previous winners at Dover, this makes for a great walk down memory lane.
  The people walking around can be quite entertaining as well. You certainly see some passionate fans who express themselves in many ways, whether it is through their clothes, hairstyles, or tattoos. In some ways you even may feel a kinship towards someone wearing the same driver's shirt as you, something you surely don't see many other places.
  There are also the smells. The different varieties of food available, each calling you toward their concession stand as you pass by. The smell of rubber, and fuel, and oils, as the race is being run.
  However, the one sense that really caught my attention most, was the sense of speed. Walking out from under the grandstands, only yards from the track, as a race car passes by is an experience you have to have, and one you just can't explain well enough. I have been on pitroad as a member of a pitcrew, I have been to many tracks. Only at Dover, standing close enough to seemingly reach out and touch the car, do you get the sense of just how fast these drivers go, and how potentially dangerous it is. No offense to the television coverage, but watching at home makes everyone feel they can do it. Being at Dover reaffirms to me the fact that I could never do it.
  I hope I will be able to attend the NASCAR races every time they come to Dover. I really didn't remember what I was missing until I went back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment