Monday, October 3, 2011

Things You Never Knew Behind the Scenes of ESPN at a NASCAR Event

  I am not just the writer of this blog, and owner of RacingAroundJersey.com, I also write for NJ.com, owned by the Star Ledger, and the largest website in NJ. It was through NJ.com that I was contacted by ESPN, and asked about whether I would like to interview Rich Feinberg, the man in charge of all motorsports, and the X-Games for ESPN and ABC, while at Dover. Of couse I accepted, but what I got was so much more. Although I will be doing many stories about what I learned while inside the ESPN compound at Dover, the first I wanted to share with you was some of the things you may not realize when you tune in each week to watch a NASCAR race on ESPN or ABC.
  First of all it takes more than 200 people, every week, to broadcast a NASCAR race. They also bring more trucks and equipment, every week, than is used to cover the Super Bowl.
  Also, they record the radio conversation of every team, all 43, every weekend, and archive them. Although you may only hear a few bits, and pieces, each week, they have them all.
  The helicopter used for every broadcast is trailered to each event, not flown.
  ESPN/ABC brings 2 generators to each event, not risking the use of local power. They also broadcast to 2 satellites at the same time in case one should have a problem.
  More than 60 cameras are used during a broadcast, either manned or robotic.
  ESPN/ABC brings their own caterer to the track every weekend who supplies food to all 200+ employees so they have food they both know is good, and can trust.
  These are just some of the more amazing things I took from my visit to the ESPN compound. I also got to meet Travis Pastrana, Carl Edwards, and many of the on-air talent. I will be doing posts on much of this shortly both on NJ.com, and here in Racing Around Jersey, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment